I can't believe we are actually in Spain! I have dreamed about it for years, and we are actually here. I decided to write a blog about my escapades in Spain... about 5 minutes ago. So allow me to set up the scene:
I am studying with Price business school and finishing my "senior capstone" - arguably a student's most important undergraduate course. Naturally, Kara and I decide to make that as difficult as possible. Do it in Spain. After graduation. However, the class is rumored to be not nearly as difficult as it is in Oklahoma. Updates coming soon about the actual class.
Kara and I flew to Madrid without any problems, only a short delay. Two glasses of (free!) red wine on the plane, and I was out. Thanks to Jennifer's advice before I left. As the first round of airplane food came down the LONG aisle of the plane, Kara and I opened up a nice spread of food that we had purchased before we got on the plane. A brilliant idea. I'm sure everyone around us hated us for filling the cabin with the smell of pesto pasta, but it was worth it! I also got to flip through wedding magazines and my Ultimate Wedding Planning book. I am super excited about starting to plan with Scooty once I get back.
We arrived in Madrid, went through customs (attempting a sorry "gracias" here and there in hopes of bypassing security), and were able to spot some fellow Pricers headed for Alcala. This young-looking lady wearing jeans was helping direct our group. She mentioned her name was Ana, and I began nudging Kara joking, "Oh that's her, that's totally our house mom! ha ha ha." About ... 10 seconds later, the lady asks who are Kara and Alissa! She introduces herself as none other than our house mom! So we got the really awkward first meeting over early... in front of everyone. It was classic. However, she is AWESOME. Ana is very nice, and speaks excellent English! Most house moms don't speak any! We are very blessed!
A short bus ride EAST of Madrid to Alcala and I attempted to drag my suitcases down the cobble-stone streets to this lady's apartment. It was a somewhat lengthy 10 minute trip. Yes, I over packed. I had three giant bags. I'm sure your getting a visual of that goofy person in the airport who's bag keeps toppling over in front of you. Yep, that was totally me but in the middle of the street. [Mom, finally I decided to forget the side-rolly motion, and I just drug the thing like a normal suitcase - with the folding bag around my neck. It worked great actually!] The apartment is very nice. Our room has twin beds and is decorated quite cute! It's just like bunking up in the Theta House again. The one bathroom and kitchen are both tinny-tiny. I think that's typically for Europe however.
Later we met up with Sam and Kristi who had a slew of crazy stories to tell us about their interesting house family, who lives oh about a 3o minute hike away from campus. For now, Kara and I downplayed how great ours apartment turned out. And, we of course did not rub in the fact that it has WIFI!! Another huge blessing. The rest of the day was spent at a Mexican cafe drinking a delicious Margarita and on a nice walk to the "central comercial" - translation: Alacala's mall. I know, I know. It took about 2 hours for me to find the mall. But Dad, have no fear. I didn't purchase anything (yet). The sun is shining, and it was a beautiful day. We even got to take a little siesta!! I am overjoyed to be in Spain. I'm looking forward to a great month. I miss Scooter like crazy. I am constantly thinking you!
What does tomorrow have in store? Orientation in the morning and possible trip to Madrid. Updates and maybe photos soon.
Thursday, May 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I LAVA this Oscar!!!! I feel like I'm right there with u!!!! Can't wait to read more! Xoxoxox
ReplyDelete